Convicts fry

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They also make shrimp or fry nets, they have very fine mesh (looks like white cloth for a net). It's softer and gentler on the babies, and they can't slip through the holes of regular nets.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I agree with JWright thats the best way. But why do you want to remove them so early. As soon as move the fry's with in 5-6 days you will have eggs again. If you leave them to grow a little more it would be best i think. Yesterday i removed my convict fry and the mom. So she does not lay eggs again. Mom is not that happy but it has to do.

May 21, 2006
thanks for all the good advice. i used a net and all the fry are doing fine in the new tank. How many of the babies can I keep in a 20 gal. tank. I want to keep some of them so i can have a family tank. do u think that is a good idea. I also want to keep the parents. better yet can i do that

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
smokiavelli said:
thanks for all the good advice. i used a net and all the fry are doing fine in the new tank. How many of the babies can I keep in a 20 gal. tank. I want to keep some of them so i can have a family tank. do u think that is a good idea. I also want to keep the parents. better yet can i do that
Convicts won't be good in a family atmosphere. Very territorial. And i wouldn't keep the parents with any of the young past 1".

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I agree with Cichlid man convicts are very territorial. You cant keep them as a family. Except for the male and female togather. but they keep having babies. Now i have more fry from the second pair. I had to saperate the female from the 1st pair as i did not want them to breed again. But the second pair got busy. I will have to wait again for a month before i can change the subtrate for my 55 g. It gets irritating after a while. Ohh I still love the fry though. Cute little guys to watch.