Cool emerald star

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I picked up a bruised and battered baby emerald star from the store... all of the limbs had been severed by something in the store tank, and it was in quarantine and about to be discarded because it hadn't fully regenerated and the Q-box was needed for a more pricey invert. So I bought this guy and put him in my 1 g vase.

That's a dwarf blue legged for scale. And they are fighting for a pellet of Formula 1.

Beautiful isn't it? Too bad these emerald stars have a rep of being fish eaters... and they also get huge. I've seen one that could wrap around a basketball it was so big.

It's tentacles have grown immensely under my care and I handfeed it with a shishkebob skewer.

Too bad I'll have to trade it away as it grows... but that's the beauty of a reef club, there's a market for everything.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
Wow very cool looking star. Whenever I go to my LFS I always look in the saltwater tanks to see what new starfish they got in, and I haven't seen anyone like that one.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Thats awsome Josh. When he gets bigger are you going to put him in the 10 for a little or do you not want to test the rep for being a fish eater (or he would probably mess with the brittle right?)

That is one awsome looking star. I was really surprised to see he was in your 1g because the picture really makes him look giant lol.

Before you do give him away you should bring him back to your lfs store to give em an update of the item they were going to discard of.

Really awsome addition man

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Good on you for nursing this poor guy, LordRoad *thumbsups I have the same kind of Green Brittle Star (only with all limbs intact) ;) Mine dropped all his spines when he first came to me but they have grown back bigger and brighter than before. They're awesome creatures (and brainless too).

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Thanks everybody. I love him too, packs a lot of personality for a brainless critter!

OCC, I don't think I'll risk the greenie with the mandarin... too much at stake to lose, though not every emerald star is a fish predator.

Cricket, do you keep yours with fish? How large is it? Got any pics ;)?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
lordroad said:
!

OCC, I don't think I'll risk the greenie with the mandarin... too much at stake to lose, though not every emerald star is a fish predator.
wow Im a moron.. How did I forget about the mandarin... I guess I was too occupied by the UFC fight that was on lol