Coolest fish?

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Every fish has their strengths and weaknesses, but what is YOUR personal favorite?

STATE:
Common Name
(Genus species)
Reason this fish is the coolest fish to you.
Reason it may not be at the top of everyone's list (difficult to keep, rare, etc.)

Just wanted some opinions and would like what you guys have to say before I dump my damsels off at the LFS. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
let me say first it is not really possible to pick a "coolest" fish because there are so many good fish out there. plus, they are all cool for different reasons

Bicolor Blenny
Ecsenius bicolor
Its a fun, active little blenny which is easy to feed and looks great

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Pygmy angel
(centropyge argi)
Angels in general just kick butt. Pygmy angels stay very small, and are really cute-nice vibrant purple-blue. Mine follows the wrasse around all the time. Flame angel (centropyge non-quite-sure) has the best coloring, but it's a little too common. It'd probably be my second dwarf angel choice. Blue ring angels (annularis) or majestic (girdled) angels win for the full-size angels.

Exquisite wrasse
(no clue at all)
Very active, eats like a hog, doesn't bother anything else, and it eats my baby bristle worms (stops the population from growing more :D).

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
This is a hard question, because I am very limited on personal experiences with fish, but then I have preferences on looks but no experience with them.

of the fish Ive had:
Coral Beauty (Still very little experience with him)

Centropyge bispinosus

"Coolest" is hard to say, like Camaro said I dont have a favorite because Salt just has so many to offer, but Ill pick him. He has great color, not as vibrant as the flame, but very intriging none the less, and he is smaller than the flame making him great for my nano.

He was very easy to acclimate and adjusted very well to the tank. He ate the first night I go thim and is eating like a mad man already, he was very hardy is what Im trying to say. He has been awsome with my two cleaners, he hasnt bullied them or anything and has already started to get cleanings from them. THeres no other fish with him now so as for compatibility Ill edit that later.

On a side note a fish that would be a "coolest" on my list that I havent had would be a naso tang. His color is so cool and looks very active. Im not going to describe him though becasue I know little about them. (Naso lituratus)

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Clowns

I know, everyone sees Nemo in an Ocellaris, and I am definitely getting a pair of clowns, but which should I get. Right now I really like the True Perculas. I would definitely go for the True Onyx Black Clowns, if I had $150 just laying around.

So I think I'll go for some True Percula Clowns (Amphiprion percula). I'll be throwing in a bubble tip anemone too with corals and a clam. How might that work out?

Before I do anything, I am going to get a very nice power compact (link) and 45lbs more of rock to bring me to about 105lbs (it looks 2/3 as full as I want right now at 60lbs). This tank has also been running for about 1.5 months and is completely cycled, waiting new arrivals.

My sig has the rest of the fish I want. It is going to be more inverts and some medium sized fish.

Any ideas?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
How about a fairy wrasse? They are reef safe, fairly small (about 4 inches), very active and colorful, and peaceful to everything except most other wrasses. A lot of them are expensive little buggers though.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Sounds good, when you do go for the clownfish and anemone get the anemone first...i would wait at this poin especially since your adding some more rock.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Definitely. I don't have the money to go fast anyways. I was lucky enough for my parents to just buy the tank/stand. Once all the rock has been in for awhile I will go on to add everything else.

Tank Bred False Percula does seem better, probably adapts easier too.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i've always been a fan of gobies...

orangespotted shrimp goby
amblyeleotris guttata

it is so much fun to watch the interaction between the alpheid shrimp they form symbiosis with and the goby. i love how gobies and jawfish make burrows and are constantly cleaning it and guarding it.