copapods

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
refugium is the way to go. i believe there are several companies which make HOB refugiums so that would be something to look into. mandarin gobies generally need a large amount of live rock in a well established tank to stay alive. most things i have seen on them reccomend at least 40 gallons simply because of their dietary requirements

on a side note, that 29 is way over stocked...the porcupine puffer is not compatable with the other members of the tank, sonn the small fish will become lunch. also, witha max size over a foot it will outgrow that small of a system

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
hey, your mandarin will slowly be starving to death by now, i suggest you give it back to the LFS, if u are determined, you can order copepods and other refugium supplies from
www.floridapets.com
good luck, but the mandarins are tough, depending on the fish, i was able to get mine to feed by filling a turkey baster with pods and other goodies and putting it down in front of the mandarin, i found that they tend to be lazy fish
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you got/made a Hang on or upstream refugium you would possibly be ok. You need to fill it with fairly coarse material, but it's going to take a few weeks to hit full production at least. People say to keep them in 1000 galls plus as it's assumed that you will have 100 plus pounds of live rock in there, and assuming you're not deliberately cultivating pods that's a safe minimum to have.
If it's your pride and joj get to it! You do need to lose the puffer though

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Because he doesn't have a big enough system to naturally produce them, especially as at least the pseudochromis will eat them asfast as they wil breed.
If you don't mind the looks get yourself a small/medium pondplant pot that is basically like a flowerpot with lots of holes in it. Now fill it with something like live rock rubble if you can get , or a coarse material like ehfimech. This will act as an inhouse refuge for lots of copapods. It will still take some weeks to seed though, assuming there are enough pods left to seed it.