Copper meds question!

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
Hello everyone! I haven't posted her in a million years but I have a question I can’t find the answer to.

I have a 30 gallon my friend wants to turn into a mini reef. I used copper meds a twice years ago and I told him that the tank is pretty much ruined as far as inverts go. We got to thinking and I was wondering if we replaced the silicone if that would make it safe again.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
good question. Though for all the work that it entails to resilicone everything you should just keep it as a hospital/quarantine tank and get a new one. They are not that expensive.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
From what I've read, there are different schools of thought on whether the silicone actually absorbs any copper. Of course, the glass itself won't absorb any copper.

I've seen it recommended to soak the tank with a weak vinegar solution for a week or so, and it should be good to go. You could also fill it with freshwater and use a filter with some Polyfilter to see if you get even a hint of blue (indicating copper).

My thought would be that the amount of copper that could possibly be in the silicone must be extremely minimal. Of course, there must be at least some natural copper in seawater anyway, but just not at levels we could ever detect with a test kit.

I would certainly not use anything else that's been in a tank with copper such as rock, sand, filter media, etc.