coral acclimation

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
so i ordering my first coral (green star polyps) this weekend and am expecting it to be in early this week...so i am just wondering how to i acclimate coral?...can i touch it?...where is the best place in the tank for it...and if theres anything else you can think of that i might of forgot please let me know.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
What type of lighting is it going under? And what type is it coming from? If its a real big difference in lighting putting something like egg crate over the tank would work. Also putting them in a shaded place and then slowly moving them to where you want them. GSP are pretty tolerant of everything so i don't think you'll have a problem with those....but acclimation is a good practice to learn.

Yes you can touch it.

I have mine right on top of a rock directly in the light, seems to be doing good. Not to picky of a coral.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I usually drip acclimate corals for about an hour. It's not strictly necessary, but I think it helps. Make sure you inspect the rock/frag for nasties like aptasia or nudibranches, etc. Whenever possible, try to avoid touching the flesh of the coral. It's OK if you touch it, but the coral will be happier if you hold it by the rock or skeleton (if it has one).

If you don't know what light it has been in, put it on the bottom of the tank in a shaded area. Leave it there at least three days, although a week is better. Move it up in the tank a few inches a week (or every few days), until it's in the right spot.

GSPs are well known for being cranky when moved. Don't expect it to open up within the first day, and probably not within the first week if you're moving it every few days.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
alright thanks guys for the info...this is my first coral and i just wasent sure what to do...if i have any more questions ill be sure to ask

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
just a small bit of advice. GSP can spread like wildfire once they get established so you may want to keep it in an area where it can't overun anything around it..... :) (spoken from experience)

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
just an update to let everyone know my first coral is doing great...i started it out in the bottom of the tank in a lil shaddy area...and i have been moving it up a lil every day....on the first day to my surprise it actully opened up after about 3-4 hours in the tank.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
i have a odessea 48' 260watt and 8 moon led lights on it, i know its not the best lighting there is but it was gave to me and i plain on updating to some better lighting once i get a lil more money saved up

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
with that light u shouldnt have to worry about acclimating to the light.... when i had those lights i just put everything right where i wanted it from the start ;) with that said the upgrade to mh was IMO my best investment so far in the hobby aside from my skimmer ;)

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
sorry guys ive been away for a few days...but then green star polyps are doing great there very bright now...and yesterday i got my second coral wich is abut 6 poylpys of blue Palythoas and they have opened up now and are looking good also....so for pics i have a crappy camera but ill do my best too get some in the next few days