Coral and coral reefs

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Um, the same reason that you can't keep a clownfish in freshwater...

In addition to saltwater, a real coral needs lots of water movement, very good water conditions, and an insane amount of light. They do sell fake coral that you could put in either freshwater or salt, if you just like the look of corals. Fake corals do fine in any tank, cost less, and cannot die.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Hermits are indeed underwater, but they are also saltwater (the 45g tank is saltwater). I think they were around $2.50 each. I don't have any pics, but you can find pics of hermits at liveaquaria.com.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Well, since the crab would die in freshwater, I don't think he'd harm anything. Plus they aren't aggressive at all to anything as far as I'm aware. Did this guy by any chance also say that corals could go in freshwater?

A fiddler crab is freshwater, but they can eat small fish and need access to the surface (although they can live months without getting to the top, from what I know).

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The bettas compatibility depends a bit on the individual. Females are generally better in community tanks than males, because they are (usually) less aggressive and don't have the flowing fins that tend to get nipped. The female betta in my 2.5g is very passive and gets along with anything. The female betta in my 37g is timid and doesn't bother anyone, although she was very aggressive to the other female for the short time they were together. I had a female betta in my 10g for a while (until she jumped out), who was aggressive to the other female bettas and chased the platies a bit. A female betta should get along with what you've got, the danios tend to be too fast for them to chase even if they are more aggressive. A male would be at risk for having his fins nipped at by the danios.

My males are all seperate, with no tankmates. I've got one that I'm sure would attack anything that moved, and another that would probably be okay with just about everything.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah, normal full hood. But it's got little holes around the back where filter and heater are... there is a decent size gap next to the filter, large enough for me to put a second heater on in the winter. I've also had a paradise fish jump.