Coral Beauty Angel lying on the rock breathing heavy!

SKiboyOO7

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
Put the fish in about 2 hours ago, the Ph is 8.3, No amonia (yet), No nitrite, and around 15 ppm of Nitrate, SG is around 1.022 and salinity is at 30. He is just lying on the rock seems like is breathing is really fast, for the first two hours he was fine swimming around. What is going on and what can i do?

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
SKiboyOO7 said:
Put the fish in about 2 hours ago, the Ph is 8.3, No amonia (yet), No nitrite, and around 15 ppm of Nitrate, SG is around 1.022 and salinity is at 30. He is just lying on the rock seems like is breathing is really fast, for the first two hours he was fine swimming around. What is going on and what can i do?
um dude the only thing I can think of is that your nitrate's are a little high, I am not that fish smart yet. but how long has your tank been set up. and how long did you Acclimate this guy???

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
umm, I do know this, you acclimated long enough but, with some tanks you have to wait longer than a month before you intoduce fish to it. Your tank may be to young or it may just not be ready.( it may not be fully cycled) do you have live rock, and how big is your tank??

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Is the fish still alive? and does it have a return policy because I would have to say it does not look good. Nitrates could of been to high dude, 0 ppm's would have been a lot nicer, but it could just be your tank is not ready for fish. is this the first fish you have bought??

SKiboyOO7

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2005
yeah first fish and i know all the guys at the store i got it from so cross your fingers they will refund me, and yes he is still kicking, just relaxing there breathing pretty heavy still

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ya dude I have been there before and at this point I would have to say he is going to die, but If you know all the guys they might be nice, I know were I go they make you bring in a water sample to return a fish and your peramiters have to be 0,0,0, and 8.3 so, well see what happens, but you should start out with a crab or something. don't go rushing into the nice fish just yet, it takes time. and next time..Lower Nitrates..

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
nitrates are fine, anything under 50 is fine for fish, ideally 0 for sensitive inverts and corals, but if just fish you should be fine, also a month is a little early for fish, you might be ok, but time will see, also aclimation was not done for a long enough time, 1 hour atleast for fish, and 2 hours for corals atleast. if your gonna spend money on a fish, spend the time to acclimate them properly, less stress for them equals healthier fish, less prone to disease and a much happier fish, yamaha you might wanna read up a little before you start making these recomendations

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
as yamahaguy said, your tank was not established long enough to handle something as delicate as a dwarf angelfish...

suggestions: more live rock (40-50 lbs more), and try introducing a tank raised percula clownfish or other "hardy" fish

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
Wow 6 months? I got a Coral Beauty after 3 weeks. Of course my water parameters were perfect as I monitor them religiously. He thrives in my tank and eats like a horse; mysis, prime reef, flake and pecks at algae all day long. I acclimated him for close to an hour like I do all my fish adding a quarter cup of my tank water to the bag 2 times at 20 min. intervals. This is just my experience.