Coral Beauty Owners, Need help,

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
On Saturday I bought a Coral beauty which is about 3". Looks very healthy and is even grazing on rocks, but it won't eat anything (mysis,nori,flakes, formula 1 or 2) Any idea's? Should I purchase some special food? How did you train it to eat prepared or frozen foods? I also got 2 firefish. They were out and swimming for the last 2 days and today I can only see one. The other one vanished. any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
firefish are notoriously shy and can disappear for a day or two into the rock if startled........not sure about the angel though.....try wrapping the nori around a rock with a rubber band.....they pick at the rock and any algae in your tank as they are herbivores, I know my pygmy angel eats like a pig, anything I give it.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If you brought it home on Saturday it might just be stressed from the move......I don't think mine ate for a couple days. Now it pretty much eats anything but it doesn't like the algea sheets. I feed a combo of mysis, formula 2 pellets and frozen formula dwarf angel blend.
Soaking the food in Garlic might be something to try although I never have myself. The formula 2 marine pellets I have say they have garlic added.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
If you brought it home on Saturday it might just be stressed from the move......I don't think mine ate for a couple days. Now it pretty much eats anything but it doesn't like the algea sheets. I feed a combo of mysis, formula 2 pellets and frozen formula dwarf angel blend.
Soaking the food in Garlic might be something to try although I never have myself. The formula 2 marine pellets I have say they have garlic added.
Thanks Limi for the help.. Really cleared up a few things. Today while I was feeding mysis it came out and seemed interested in it. That is always a good sign. seems like the coral beauty will do fine.. Just need to purchase the right food and I am guessing everything will be fine. Thanks again..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
mine eats pretty much anything, but he goes crazy when i give him formula 2 and a mix of mysid+spirulina.
I also give New Life Spectrum Premium and he's battling with the other fishies to get it all.
He was more comfortable two weeks after his introduction...he was eating, but less than now.
Also...if you have some algaes on the glass..if you scrape it with a card ( hospital one, old credit card etc..plastic one ), herbs love it..fresh, concentrated algaes. I don't have much, but if i clean the whole sides i can have a little chunk sticked on the card...and the coral beauty is pretty happy to get rid of it :)