Coral choice, need advice

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I have been putting a list together my coral choices, ( I am not going to start buying corals yet, just making my list) I have one that I have found that, to me is rather expensive. I want to know if this is as nice a coral as I think it is, or should I just get it out of my mind. My second choice for the replacement for this coral is a whole lot cheaper. I don't mind paying the price if its a really nice coral. This would be the most expensive one on my list, so far at least.

The hige $$$ coral

Vivid Aquariums - Buy Online - Fish Store in Los Angeles - Buy Purple Monster Acropora (Acropora sp.) - Frag: .75"

My second choice ( the cheaper one)

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Acropora desalwii

Give me you thoughts.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Try and find a group locally that meets and trades frags. My days of buying in stores are over now. I'm going to a meeting Saturday and getting several frags of acros (2 tricolor, 1 green slimer, 1 brown white stag 1-2" frags), neon green galaxea, anthellia, some red/green monti, a yellow ric, and some zoa for $40.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've heard good things about Vivid Aquariums. I've bought some aquacultured corals from Drs. Foster and Smith, and they were good quality. Be aware that some online retailers use heavily actinic lighting for their photos, and corals may not always look the same under your lighting. Both of the retailers you've linked to tend not to enhance their photos too much or use a lot of actinic lighting, but it does happen.

I'd highly advise you to start off with less expensive corals, and wait until you're sure you can keep and grow them for a while before getting the expensive ones. There's nothing worse than losing a $100 or $200 coral when you're a newbie.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I've heard good things about Vivid Aquariums. I've bought some aquacultured corals from Drs. Foster and Smith, and they were good quality. Be aware that some online retailers use heavily actinic lighting for their photos, and corals may not always look the same under your lighting. Both of the retailers you've linked to tend not to enhance their photos too much or use a lot of actinic lighting, but it does happen.

I'd highly advise you to start off with less expensive corals, and wait until you're sure you can keep and grow them for a while before getting the expensive ones. There's nothing worse than losing a $100 or $200 coral when you're a newbie.
Definitely good advice. Start with cheaper corals that are hardy and when everything is stable and growing then start looking at SPS.