Coral Feeding

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I know to feed my corals from time to time, but just exactly should I feed and how much.

I put zooplankton in the water every 2 or 3 days. I also feed frozen mysis once or twice a week. I feed brine too, but just because I have it and want to get rid of it. When I try to spot feed my hairy mushroom the mysis just float right off the tenticles. My red mushroom to way to small for almost anything I can give it. Should I feed small pieces of silversides to my hairy mushroom? Will it grab it? Also, is silversides what I should be feeding my bubble?

I read that the bubble doesn't need much light at all and that it should go in the substrate. Currently the bubble is usually fully blown up with the center open. Is this how it's supposed to look? Most of the bubble pictures I have seen are completely covered in bubbles. Think I should move it to the bottom?

More corals:

I have xenia which I do not spot feed and they seem to be doing ok. I have a green and orange button polyps. Should I be spot feeding them? Should I spot feed my star burst polyps?

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The button polyps can grab food easily, they retract when they catch it.
You GSP can rely on the light, the Xenia too...even tough the xenia will try to grab pieces, leftover from the fish's food will be ok.
The bubble NEEDS strong light on the long run unless it is fed weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. You can feed it during the night, when it's fully retracted and it's tentacles are ready to catch food. Bubble can eat big chunks of mysis. The shrooms are not very handy...they don't have good catching abilities ...anyways i don't feed mine, i just give 'em light .

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
When you say fully retracted, you mean the bubbles aren't filled up? When it deflates like this I don't see tenticles. The only tenticles I see are the ones that are sticking out when it's fully inflated.

What does GSP stand for?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
gsp/ green star polyps.

personally I don't target feed anything except my anemone.....who gets a half silverside every other week. I do squirt frozen mysis in the direction of the frogspawn/candycane/torch and they usually get whatever is floating their way........I do tend to overfeed.....(I know I shouldn't) so I am sure they are getting fed.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Cool. Since I cut down to only feeding once a day I do tend to feed a little more than I should too. My nitrates are a lot better now too so I guess it's not too much for what I have. I like to over feed with mysis just so eveybody has a chance to get some. Including my starfish.