Coral placement

Oct 3, 2010
Detriot Mi
I always wanted a saltwater fish tank. But i wouldn't no how to set it up.
Do you just drop it in there or do you handle the coral? If you handle it wouldn't it sting you? And how do you clean it do you lift the coral up?
Thx*BOUNCINGS

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
how to set what up? if youre talking about the SW tank itself, do some research, there are tons of guides here and on other forums.

You should have a pair of forceps always for handling things such as coral frags. this way w/e can sting you, doesn't. not all corals can have nematocysts strong enough to pierce human skin. but foreceps should be used and grasp only the frag plug or rock portion of the coral, not living flesh or you will damage it.

clean coral either by turkey basting it while its still in the tank or by grabbing the frag with forceps and bringing it near a powerhead to get things off it that shouldn't be there. you must be careful because not all corals will like the powerhead approach.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I feed zooplankton to my tank, nothing specifically to my corals because I pick only photosynthetic corals. this means they really need a quality light and theyre set for food.
Different corals will take different things. LPS corals will take bigger foods, especially if they have large polyps. stuff like frozen mysis is a good food for LPS with big polyps. Palythoa also like mysis and usually have the polyp size to handle it.

you can of course feed them regular fish food flakes and granules. I used to feed my Palys formula one flakes until I got bored of my crabs stealing the flakes from the coral's mouths >_<

Feeding corals can be based around what corals you want to own. then research that coral to see what kind of food it requires, it will take, or whether it needs to be fed at all.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
SW costs a lot. be prepared with $100+ for a smaller tank and 200+ for a larger tank in just start-up costs alone, w/o any livestock.

my 3 gal cost me about $120 to start up and much more once i got going.
my 10 gallon didnt cost as much to start up (maybe $100 since I already had the tank and filter and poweheads and sand and a bunch of other stuff that would have cost me money. But once the 10 gal started to get goin with livestock costs quickly rose to $250+ overall.

for pics on my tanks visit:
Nano-Reef.com Site Search