Coral propagation?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well for now since you don't have livestock, maybe you could wait a little bit for your cycle to finish, then add corals into your main tank. If you start another tank, you'll have to cycle it too. Or, to speed up your cycle on your secondary tank, you could add substrate and pieces of live rock from your main tank into the nursery, and water from the first tank. It will cycle faster..but don't add stuff right away, you'll have nitrates from the 1st tank's water.
My friend started an independant nursery system..with 2 x 10 gallons rubbermaid + sump + caulpera in sump + giesemann 150 w HQI 20000k.
It works, and he did what i just suggested you. BUT..his main tank is nitrites/ammonia/nitrates free, AND 2 years old.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
many lfs will trade corals for store credit, doesn't do you a lot of good in terms of making $$ but it will fund the hobby. as far as setting up a prop tank i would wait until you are having success with your first SW setup and make sure it is something you really want to try before you dive into it (so to speak)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
agreed, setting up a prop tank can be a fairly substantial investment and corals need pristine water conditions to grow enough to be fragged, so i would suggest getting your knowledge of SW done in a fairly simple set up, just my opinion

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes. I do have a frag tank. I used it for softies mostly, it is a half filled 30 long with T5 lighting, and a powerhead working a spraybar at about 20 times water flow. I have worked it barebottom and with a really dirty sandbed , both worked depending on what you grew.
As it is shallow water you can grow most anything under T5, I've grown frags of Monti and Turbinaria in it.

I never made any money but it was quite interesting. I have also used it as a semi QT for a very small Ctenochaetus tang, and it worked for that too.

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
I am going to get a colony and cut it up and put about one polyp on each of my frag rock. Can I add the colony when it is time to add a fish? I can just add the colony then and wait for the fish if I have to.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes. But be careful cutting it up. I assume you know what you're doing with that. Get the lighting and feeding right and they should be ok growers.

Don't think you're going to make any money on this. You're talking 10's of dollars over a 6 month period return