coral question

ctdragonpr

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2006
Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
i have heard that shrooms and polips star actually can witstand high temperatures cause i wanna get some but i dont want them to die since i dont have a chiller yet does anyone have some on a non chiller tank with temp reading fo 86 or 87 degrees let me know if not what their specs thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
have you checked your powerheads/return pump ?
I ditched 3 aquaclear powerheads, they were heating my tank too much. I replaced them with a Seio 820, and the temp dropped about 2 degrees.
I had the same temp during the hot summer..on the long run, not very good for your corals.
Try to aim your fan on the surface of the water...it's like blowing air on your soup to get it colder : it works.

ctdragonpr

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2006
well i have a 600 resum power head and my return pump its a rio hf 26 and the skimmer pump is a rio 1800 but i dont really now if they produce to much heat should i try running them one by one to see the temp readings u know the return pump solo them turn on the skimmer to see what happens after turn on the powerhead and see the changes i could get a timer for the skimmer and have it run at night when the lights are off

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would rather run the skimmer full time. 86 is terribly high. Even if you find some things that can live at that temp for a long time, a combo of lower oxygen saturation and higher metabolic rates means you will need to radically drop your stocking levels or be in continuous risk of a wipeout.
How warm is the room. Is it airconned? You don't have that much electrical stuff in a 90 except the lighting.

ctdragonpr

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2006
well i have a 260w compact light sistem 2 pumps in the sump and one powerhead in the tank at night when i check the temp its 84.5 but in the day it get to 86.5 sometimes 87. fish seems ok and the anemones i have like to shrooms and they also look good but i want to get some starpolips
no a/c just a fan in the top part

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How warm is the room? It strikes me as warm unless the sump pumps are putting out a lot of heat. I am not sure what Rios are like for that -how many watts are they rated at?

ctdragonpr

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2006
the rio hf 26 main return pump is rated at 100 watts and the rio 1800 skimmer pump at 24 watts the resum 3800 power head is 25watts
i guess the room is warm cause there is hot much air flow in the apartment im thinking of buying a celing fan for the middle of the living room to circulate air better

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well what is it - 20 degrees, 25, or what? Basically how cool you can get a tank is very dependant on how warm the surrounding air is.

That's a lot of watts rated on those Rio pumps. One of the reasons I have a more expensive return pump is that it is only rated 55W, and my 6000 lph powerheads are rated at 11 W, thus less heat output