Coral Question

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
This is not a good pic, but its the only one we have at this time. I don't know what its called ( but thats not the question, lol, but you can tell me that also ) Anyway, I got this from a local reefer, it has, I will call them heads, 6 and a half of them. What I would like to know is, if it will grow more heads? It has the same amount of heads when we got it a few months ago, but the ( I will call the polyps) individual polyps are getting larger. Anything you can tell me about this thing, I really like it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It looks like it's either a torch or hammer coral (euphyllia sp.). Yes, it can grow more heads. The heads you have will split into two or three each.

To be honest, it doesn't look very happy. The polyps should be much more extended and fluffy. What kind of flow area and lighting area is it in your tank?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Thats an old pic, when we first got it and it had a two hour ride home, and we just put it in the tank. It is much better looking now and the polyps, as you say are much more fluffy and extended, guess thats why I like it. I have it at mid tank level and I would say it is getting med. flow, enough that the polyps kinda sway in the current. Lighting where it is placed is good from the MHs, being at mid level, it isn't getting blasted by the lights but I think its getting good light.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
its a frogspawn and yes ther called heads, the way they split is each one will eventually split into 2, it likes lower flow i can tell you that much

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the help, I will try and get a better pic of it posted. This was freebe from a friend of mine, someone gave it to her.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
lol Wish they were Tubs, I got those from the web site TRe hooked me up with, where you get frags for $20.00. They are on a mixed frag.