Coralife Needle Wheel Skimmer

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
"Coralife super skimmer needle wheel," 65g size. Is this a decent skimmer? Drs. Foster and Smith have it on sale now, for $72. I've got a Prizm now, and I've heard that those aren't too spectacular so I was wondering if the Coralife one is enough of an improvement on the Prizm to be worth it. Of course, it's cheaper than the Prizm and about the same as a Seaclone, so maybe that's my answer right there...

Anyone have experience with the Coralife, or heard stories?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They're reputedly quite good, though needle wheels are generally fiddly to tune, and susceptible to changes in pH, salinity, feeding and all the other ills that can kill skimmer performance.

Of course, for the cost combined of the prism and the coralife you could have a remora, and far fewer worries, hassles. You've had one bargain skimmer, why do it again.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They're reputedly quite good, though needle wheels are generally fiddly to tune, and susceptible to changes in pH, salinity, feeding and all the other ills that can kill skimmer performance.

Of course, for the cost combined of the prism and the coralife you could have a remora, and far fewer worries, hassles. You've had one bargain skimmer, why do it again.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
how has the prizm been on your tank? Has it produced a steady skimate? any algae problems?

If you ever do decide to upgrade or switch skimmers personally I would sell the prizm on ebay and get as much as you can and then try to get a aqua-c (like wayne said)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It works decently, it just is hard to adjust so that it goes the right speed, and it doesn't like to start again after you really clean it out. No algae problems, but then again I have crap for lighting so there might not be enough to support most forms of algae. My nitrates stay low enough.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I am interested in the exact coralife unit you speak of for when I upgrade my tank. Right now I have a Prizm, and I like it (a lot).

My dad has the superskimmer 220 on his tank, it is a lot harder to adjust than my prizm, and won't tolerate the backpressure from its own return/filter box. I actually don't like it, but it does produce a helluva lot of bubbles for skimming, and lets next to none back into the tank.