Coralife super skimmers

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
Has anyone tried and have feedback on the coralife needle wheel super skimmers? I like the footprint for my sump,and the needle wheel concept.
Interested in hearing how the 125 or 220 perform
Thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yup...have a 3004 (220) model..excellent ratio price/power. BUT ! : This is a skimmer for sump with baffles or expect some troubles...unless you have a system that automatically compensate water evaporation. You see, when the water in your tank evaporate, the skimmer decalibrates and water eventually pops up from the top.
Anyways, don't wanna scare you so i'll make a list of pros and cons.
Pros :
Gen-X pump included, extremely powerful.
Tall skimmer
Needle Wheel
Cheap
Parts can be cleaned/unmounted easily.
Tweakable with fish line/mesh wheel + air pump.

Cons :
Unstable
Cup need to be cleaned weekly, when the plastic cup gets greasy the skim slides back, unlike acrylic skimmers.
The water pump tube is too long, needs to be cut for better results.
Needs to be grounded ( everything should but) or you might have some stray voltage in your tank that your hand can feel. 3 guys including myself noticed that.

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for your feedback, I went with the 220 modle..It's been in for 2 weeks and I love it. I see what you mean about water fluctation and the skimmer sensitivity...WOW very sensitive. I solved this problem by taking a 5 gal bucket of made saltwater, in the sump I have a $20 little giant pump attached to a float valve. From the pump I have an intake hose fed into the bucket. When water level drops in the sump, the float opens the pump and it takes what water it needs from the 5 gal bucket. Works great. I also noticed the same thing with the foam sliding back in the cup..this was fixed by taking a piece of sand paper and ruffing up the inside of the lift. Makes it a very little bit harded to clean, but a small bottle brush is all it takes. I like this skimmer alot with these small alterations.
Thanks again

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
No I didn't cut the tube, actually I added 2 1/2 feet too it. I have the pump in the front baffle of the sump for the dirty water ( skimmer won't fit in there) and the unit is at the other end of the sump feeding the clean water baffle. The added length does reduce performance, I think I may try to add a different pump in the front sump,and have that tube connect to the needlewheel pump "inline" further along the line and closer to the skimmer, basicaly two pumps in one line. I love messing around with this stuff :) my skimmer doesn't look like it did when I bought it anymore...LOL

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
"WOW very sensitive. I solved this problem by taking a 5 gal bucket of made saltwater, in the sump I have a $20 little giant pump attached to a float valve. From the pump I have an intake hose fed into the bucket. When water level drops in the sump, the float opens the pump and it takes what water it needs from the 5 gal bucket."

are you topping it up with saltwater? You should only top off with fresh r/o water not mixed salt. When the water evaps from your sump it is only water not salt that evaporates. If you are adding salt you are increasing your sg gradually by adding more salt with the topoff.......

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i plugged the air pump in skimmer's air intake but it wasn't great compared to the normal air succion..needed even more bubbles..so i've put the pump near the impeller, now i have twice the bubbles..good mod. Can see it in my cheap cellphone video, you may wanna try :