Coralline growth product

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I have setup a small 10 gallon tank to cure LR and now I want to cultivate coralline algae before putting them in my tank.
From almost every things I have read in this forum, the recommendation is to use Kalkwasser. The problem is neither Petco nor Petsmart carry it. I found small LFS (superfishstore) that sell Kalkwasser. But they also sell few other products from SeaChem. Two of them that I am interested are, Reef Complete and Reef Calcium. Both these products advertise as providing more Ca than Kalkwasser. Are they then better than Kalkwasser.

Rohn

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
not necessarily...people always have different opinions on these types of things...kalkwasser I have seen people mess up, some like 1 part solutions, some like 2 part solutions....it is a "try it for your self" type of thing...kalkwasser is probably the best bang for your buck...but maybe overkill on a 10 and could mess with your conditions. I use B-ionic...it is easy and lasts a while...especially on a small tank.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't nother trying to cultivate calc algae before putting it in the tank as it will take a while, and is always sensitive to enviromental conds, so it will prolly all bleach out when it gores in the main display anyway. I wouldn't bother with purple up or whatever - I like kalk as it does a decent job easily, and is far cheaper than that or two parts.
I would wait itll the the LR is in the main tank. What coralline likes is moderate light, lots of 'blue', lots of Ca, relatively clean water and some people say it does better if you dose Sr. But I don't and still ahve decent coralline anyway.