corals question

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
can a coral survive in a 28 celcius/80f temperature??and which kind of coral is best for clown fish and tomato fish(im nt sure the name)

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i'm over that temp for over 2 years and yes it can...you better avoid fluctuations..and steady 80 is okay for many hardy ones.
Wow lucky you, Malaysia ! You're in a hot spot for marine species ! My friend is diving at Tioman's island right now :)
Well i hope you do understand that usually a clownfish is hosted by an anemone. The plate coral seems to be a good substitute for clowns since it looks a lot like an anemone, but clowns can find other corals/things interesting as well. My false percula seems to like a little too much my Seio powerhead, he's trying to sleep on it...crazy little fishie.
If you're not sure about the name of the fishie, better get a good book on marine fish and inverts or visit that website : Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information.
Clowns can be hardy, but corals tend to be more difficult to keep and i suggest you read about it before you get some or you could be sad to lose some inverts. ( It happens frequently, and it did to me when i begun )

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I recently put in a small teracotta pot and both my clowns made it their home. I had a steady 82 before I got central AC and I didn't have any fish related issues. I didn't have any coral at the time. I seen a picture of a clown hosting a hairy mushroom.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
ooo,it seems alot kind of coral i can choose.thanks!but i heard my friend said,some coral can inject venom if we touch it,is dat true?hmm,r u sure Malaysia is the hotspot of marine species??i dont realize that,but i know i can buy marine fish in very cheap price.lol,your friend come in a right time,because next month the monsoon wind will change direction.aresgod,do u mean the elephant ear eat the fish or the clown eat the corals?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
When a clown fish hosts in something that is not their natural hosts they take a chance on being eaten by their host. Such as certain hairy mushrooms are notorious fish eaters. Condylactis anemones often eat their clowns. So keep your eye on what your clown is hosting in.

Yes some coral can sting such as frogspawns, torches and fire corals......to be safe, wear gloves