Corals

Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
I had a few corals start to die on me.Well one started to die and i was trying to save it but then anohter one started to die.I was just wondering if a coral starts to die does it relase anything that could mess with the other corals?That all i realy need to know because if anything else gets sick then i want to know if i can try to save it are just throw it away.Im out like my 80$ pearl bubble coral :confused:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
depend on the type of coral. if it is a zoo than it could of. zoanthids are extremely toxic and have killed aquarist that had cuts on thier hands

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
it could be a possibility that corals are releasing their personal toxin into the water column, but i guess the water params and lighting need to be checked.
Oh i checked your webpage..your bubble, GPS and what seems to be a frogspawn are really close to other corals...and they might bother them.
My bubble is 6" away from a scolymia when fully expanded and managed to sting it badly, and pierced the flesh. The scolymia is now good as new, but maybe if you just change their disposition ..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Lick some zoos then lick a bubble coral. You'll see the difference. Seriously, one time i tried to move my bubble with my bared hands...i put my finger on my face like 3 sec later..i felt a little burn. Went to a bar, i had now like a huge cyst under my skin...like an allergic reaction. Looked like i had a fight..answering to people that it was a coral sting...kinda weird.
It took 24h to heal. Now that's toxic.
End of my story.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its hard to say whether you can expect to save something when it gets "sick"...it really depends on what it is and what is causing the illness. it sounds to me like you have water quality issues which are causing an initial infection in one coral then as that coral begins to suffer water quality decreases more and causes more corals to suffer. you really need to figure out why you are losing corals at all and then go from there

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
as I recall this isnt the first time you have lost numerous corals, so obviously there is something that is going wrong, so figure that out before purchasing more corals, they dont just mysteriously die, there is almost always a reason for it.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Water quality, then too close together? Look at the basics first. Any algae, still getting lots skimmate?

Do some big water changes and start running carbon

Last edited: