Cory Interaction

Aug 4, 2005
Hi. Another quick question. I'm not sure how corydoras normaly interact; I've heard they are "schoolers" to an extent, but I got 3 corydoras a week or so ago and they aren't doing quite what I expected. First of all, they are assorted varieties (one is albino, one is bronze longfin, and another is salt-and-pepper) and sizes (1-2 in). The guy at the LFS said that the different varieties would interact no problem, but here is what I'm seeing: every once in a while (like feeding time), they group together and dig around in formation, but most of the time, it seems like they are off patrolling the gravel on their own, only to regroup briefly and occasionally. Is this typical cory behavior, or should they be hanging out more?

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
I thought that they only got along with their own variety..But I could be wrong. Also, 3 doesn't make up much of a group. I would suggest at least 4-6..the more the merrier! :)

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
From what I am seeing in my tank, I also have 3 different kinds of corys, it sounds alot like what yours are doing. They do school at times but are off doing their own cleaning alot of the time. My LFS told me they are happier with others of their kind...but I think they know they are the same and are happy to just see each other occasionally.

fishbrain

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Central NY, USA
www.geocities.com
IME, many cories stay together with their varity (slight differences in behavour of varities) a little more offen than mixed & more the merrier seems to be true. Prehaps get 2 more of a kind you already keep & see if they shoal more. (& btw, the bronze & albino are both likely Corydoras aeneus)