Cost of a 55 gallon tank?

Hey everyone,

I've been planning to set up a Malawi Mbuna rift tank for awhile now and I have all the equipment ready for the tank, but it's just a matter of getting the tank clean and fixed. I've spent almost two months messing with different things that are wrong with it and I'm finally fed up with it. It seems like every time I think I'm done with it I find something else wrong with it. My boyfriend bought an oscar as a impulse buy awhile back and he's been keeping it in a 29 gallon tank. I've decided to give the 55 gallon tank to him for his oscar when he outgrows the 29.

What I'm wanting to know is if anyone knows how much just a 55 gallon tank would cost at Petsmart or Petco. I live about three hours away from either one. There's a pet store in my town, but they want $300 just for the tank! Would it be cheaper to get one at Petsmart or Petco? I noticed that their prices are alot lower than the pet store's.

geoff

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
I picked up a 48x13 50 gallon tank used for $30. It didn't include a hood though. Which is fine because I'm making something for it, and I can get glass tops for under $30. $60 is way better then $150 or $300 though!! In fact, that's like a free canister filter. :D

I'd suggest checking out craigslist or your local paper. There are always people trying to get rid of old tanks.

raseii

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2005
:) Zombiegrrll, I also bought one of those package deals from Petsmart. The filter that came with it was not what I wanted, so I returned it and told them I lost the reciept. They gave me a store credit and I bought the type of filter I wanted. :)

cost of 55 gallon

Hello,

I have a very good friend that got me started in fish and it is now continued into multiple tanks. Sooo, she found me a 55 gallon on Craig's list, everything included for $25. I needed to break it down and take the 3 fish in it with me as well as all the stuff. The "fish" were 2 grey boring tetras and one pleco named "Mr. Big". The tank is in great shape except for being disgustingly dirty. The tetras, I now know are black skirt tetras and colored up beatifully in my 20 g. The pleco is 12" long :eek: and much to big for my tank so my friend now has him in an outside pond for the summer. The price included a homemade stand, filter, heater, cover w/ light and sundry other bits and pieces that she had accumulated over the 2 years she had the tank. A boyfriend she used to have is the reason she had the tank.

May 18, 2005
Pacific Northwest
heathernoll... Some great places to find tanks aside from Wal*Mart, PetCo & PetSmart are:

craigslist.com & eBay.com

You can find complete set ups for real cheap or just parts for just as cheap... I just recently bought a 15gal, hood, filter, stand, and a whole LOT of accessories for $35 on craigslist and it was all well worth the money.

*PEACE!*