Cost of SW Tank?

May 9, 2005
I've been doing some research on equipment that's needed for setting up a new SW tank and it's pretty easy to realize that SW tanks are expensive. :p

But I was wondering, if you added up everything needed for a tank, what's the lowest possible price? I mean, not including fish and corals but including substrate, is it possible to do a tank for around $400?

I reaaaaaalllllyyyy want to get a saltwater tank, but I have a budget of $400 for the equipment and I was wondering if it was possible. I don't want to start to buy things and then realize that it will cost much more than that. I've been reading that prices are much higher, like around $1000 and while I don't want to buy crappy equipment, if I didn't get the best of the best would I be able to do it for $400?

I don't need the stand and I'd probaby be able to DIY some things. Though I'm completely inadept when it comes to construction, I have some friends who would be able to help with those sorts of projects.

Oh, I should probably mention that I'd like to get a 60 gallon. :D I realize that if I want to spend less, I should get a smaller tank but the 60 gal just looks so nice and fits so well....

:) Sorry. Anyways, so can it be done? Or do I have to save up for another couple of months/years?

Thanks for the help!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
haha...not a chance you can do a 60 for $400. Live rock alone for a 60 is going to cost you $200...lights, skimmer, powerheads = another $500 easily...the tank will be another $150...thats already double your budget. I think for $400 you might be able to get a pretty decent 10-20 gallon tank going

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
yeah a 20 gallon could look really nice with 400 dollars, you might be able to scam a 30 even. I say 20 though, because after a couple months it will look really impressive as opposed to having a 30 that's a work in progress.

Take a look at some 20's on the internet (sometimes considered a nano), they can look pretty awesome.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well it's possible to get a tank for this amount of money...but...
You could have a perfecto tank 55 gallons 4 feet long for like 80 bucks.
( best ratio price/ big size )
Could built yourself the canopy so let's say 35 $ of wood etc.
15 pounds of fine aragonite is like 12 $ . Up to you to decide how deep your bed will be. But 48x13 inches with aragonite, u should go minimum with 2 bags. So 12 x 2 or 1 x 30 pounds if available.
Could buy standard neon ballast ( 15-20 $ ) ..if you wanna have a reef, it sucks and costs more on the long run 'cause you'll need to have a lot of lights. For fish only setups it's ok. 20-30 $ for good neons..each.
Can have a backpack2 or berlin skimmer for about 130-170 $. SKIMMING IS VERY IMPORTANT. Don't be cheap like me and end with a seaclone. Works but unreliable and need adjustment.
We're getting closer to 400 $ and we have no test kits, livestock, food, salts or additives !
No biological filtration either ! Live rock is expensive, but it's the best filtration ever.
I started with no budget and it's better to wait.

May 9, 2005
Hm. I would like a reef tank but then again lights cost like $400 alone! :D Almost...

I was doing some research and pulled together this but stopped because I realized that there was like no way. Here it is:

Tank (LFS) -- $50.00

Reverse Osmosis:
Max 50 Maxxima RO DI 50gpd (JsEF) -- $180.00

Protein Skimmer:
Aqua-C Remora --$300.00
Via Aqua Multi-Skimmer Deluxe --$120.00
CPR Bak Pak 2R Hang-On Skimmer (JsEF) --$100.00

Sump Box --$5.00 (DIY)

Pumps:
Taam MVT Wave Maker (JsEF) --$35.00
Rio Powerhead 600 UL --$25.00

Thermometer:
DigitalAquariumThermometerw/DualAlarms (A.cm) --$10.00

Water Test Kits:
Saltwater Test Kits (LFS) --$20.00

Cleaning Equipment:
Floating Magnet (LFS) --$7.00
Magnum Canister Filter (A.cm) --$45.00

Total Amount: --

I haven't even looked into the reliability of some of these things; I just started looking for numbers. My LFS is giving me a deal on the tank so that helps but as you see I haven't even included lights anywhere. Or anything like that.

It would be so much cheaper to just get a cat or something but I love fish more. :)

Last edited:

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
if you buy things over a period of time, it does not seem to cost as much...for a tank that size, buy an aquaC remora or urchin (for in your sump)...LR can be half of what you need, the other half can be lace rock
it's not possible for $400, but you can get pretty close

one last thing: any drug habits will have to be put on hold :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How much are you paying for a tank and hood. If you are sharp and good at DIY you cvan get a fish only with some live rock for that sort of money , but it will be a struggle, and need upgrading on a pretty rapid, progressive basis.
Some of the equipment you list seems a little odd to me and makes me think you don't have much experience. Spending 20 dollars on a beginners book with a shopping list would be a good start