costs for setting up a betta tank

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Hey Betta fans,

I just had a quick question. How much did you spend setting up a tank for your betta. I'm am looking into a tank under 5 gallons. My bro really wants a male betta, but I don't want to put one in my 10 G. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to.

Thanks.*thumbsup2

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i spent $40 on the tank for satch, about $10 for the gravel/decor and food. and napoleon's tank was $10 the gravel was $2 and decor was about $4 so it all really depends on how much you want to spend, they have realy neat 2.5 rectangular glass tanks at petsmart for $10 and its like $10 for the lighting for it i think.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
If you don't get a bow or minibow and just get a half-hexagonal 2g or something along those lines, you can always make a filter out of an aquarium elbow and carbon cartridges. A two pack of elbows is like $2 and the carbon cartridges are something like $2.50 for a two pack. You just attach the elbow to the airstone cylinder and pop the cartridge into the elbow. Works like a charm :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
My 2.5g was $2 at a garage sale, with 2 bags of gravel, a heater, and a filter... Add $.50 for the plexiglass top. So $2.50, and $3.69 (I think) for the betta, and $2.50ish for the froggy, comes to $8.69ish... Garage sales make me so happy.

CAPSLOCK said:
My 2.5g was $2 at a garage sale, with 2 bags of gravel, a heater, and a filter... Add $.50 for the plexiglass top. So $2.50, and $3.69 (I think) for the betta, and $2.50ish for the froggy, comes to $8.69ish... Garage sales make me so happy.
:eek: Wow! The only thing you find in the garage sales around here are broken toys and crusty childrens blankets... ooooh :( lol

UP UP AND GUPPY said:
Well if I was to tally everything for all my fish I would come to about a thousand.
:-O

I spent about £60 on my tank, gravel, filter.. everything really.. including fish.. (though i've had to.. ermm, 'replace' a few since.. beginners "luck" eh?) :p

*EDIT: I have no idea why they're crusty.. and i just.. don't want to know.. lol - and i wanna buy a small 2Gallon for my computer desk, like for shrimps.. or a pair of ADF's or something! But my parents are worried about the electrical crap.. pfft..*