Could i get a clam?

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Yes, I agree with camaro. They dont start using photosynthesis to produce food until they reach about at least 3 inches, and they do like high lighting. Getting a proper size clam would depend on what you have for lighting and calcium, some other things.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Clams are even more demanding of high lighting than those anemones you bought ........and like the anemones would no doubt not make it long term. IF and it is a very very very big IF you do decide on a clam you would be well adivsed to look at a squamosa or derasa as they are less demanding of high intense light than a crocea or maxima which are at the top of the light demand list.......also, other than croceas and maximas which only reach about 6-7 inches the other two I mentioned the derasa and squamosa can reach up to 2 feet in size.....in other words they need a large tank to live in. Under optimal conditions a derasa can grow from a 3-4 inch baby in a year to over a foot in size. I know mine has doubled in size in 3 months. I would definitely put this on hold for the foreseeable future.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Anemones need to be fed silversides and depending on the size of the anemone how much and how often. I only feed my very small bta a half a silverside every other week. One of the causes of anemones demise in this hobby is overfeeding them. They should be getting a lot from the light as they are photosythetic.