could this stress over time?

ladyhawk

Large Fish
Oct 3, 2003
www.geocities.com
Recently I aquired one male and one female Betta. I have them each in a 1 gallon or just over ,bowl. There bowls are resting against each other so they can see each other if they are in the right spot.
Well they do seem to like looking at each other, because the male 'Orion' dose this dance type swim looking at her flareing his beard a bit. ' Nebula' the female also swims this shy little head down dance.(I've read this is her submitting for spawning).
I fancy the idea of trying for some fry some day..but I have alot of supplies and reading to do before I put them together.
So I wondered...will they get stressed if they can allways see each other but not get together? Or will this be good for them so if in the future I do put them together they will be more used to each other?
Orion has made a nice bubble nest also..He is ready!!:cool:

Also the female is white. How do I know when she has eggs??

well, they may get used to seeing each other and might not want to spawn when it really is the time, well im not sure, but she seems wanting to spawn

when the female stomach gets HUGE and you see this white thing below her swollen stomach, then it is time you know she has a sack full o'eggs!

im no betta expert, but im sure the experts will soon arrive...

Mar 11, 2003
I would seperate the bowls (place a paper in between them?) until you are ready to condition them. Like theeyrietrainer said, they may get used to each other. They may also get stressed, and the female could become eggbound if she cannot release the eggs she produces.

Alexa

ladyhawk

Large Fish
Oct 3, 2003
www.geocities.com
About the egss????

Thanks Alexa..
I will do as you say. It sounds reasonable to me. I like the other things you have said though out the site. You seem to know alot about the Bettas.
I have read that the feamles MUST eat black worms to produce eggs. Is that true or is it just that the worms provide good vitamins form them?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I Ladyhawk (I love the movie)

I had Rigel the Big Blue Betta and Reena the black/blue betta in a 3 gal divided tank (clear dividers) for a few months. I did try to spawn them first, but after a week, Reena was showing no signs of interest.

I suggest you keep them seperate for at least a few weeks before you ever try to spawn them. Just do a slow re-introduction in the spawning thank and it might work. (Ps. younger bettas spawn better than older ones - the females get grumpy with age)

It is OK for them to visit, but just short periods is my suggestion.

As far as worms for the females - never heard that one before. The general idea is that live foods will help your spawning pair get in better shape for the spawning process, which is really hard on them and makes them prone to illness aftewards.

My pair get pellets and freeze-dried foods (no parasites) and they are in great shape even after spawning. Sure, Rigel looks a little ragged from chasing Reena for a solid week, but Finchy and Ruby (the ones that did spawn) seem absolutely fine.

www.bettatalk.com has a good website on spawning, the costs, the time commitment, and the proper setup.

Ps. I think Alexa is a great source of advice, beyond her years ;)

Mar 11, 2003
LOL, thanks guys. I have never heard the worm thing either. I know some people won't feed blackworms because they can carry parasites, and others feed strictly blackworms and other live foods. I don't feed many live foods at all. Just regular fry cultures and some glassworms for the adults.

Alexa