Couple of questions

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
mine dont spit out of the water, but they do occaionally nip at plants (mebbe old food). However, they do make a popping sound when they eat. i bet if their mouths had water in them, they would shoot water (when they "pop"). I wouldn't worry in that situation, but thats me.

Jun 16, 2006
I've never heard of gourami's spitting water out of the tank, however they do make bubble nests, this is when the male gourmi is building it's nest to breed, if this is what is happening, then you will see bubbles at the top of the tank.

Hope this helps.

they shouldnt devestate your plants i notice my nipping at them for a while, they also use plant matter in their bubble nests too, so im pretty sure its normal. Shooting water? like archer fish? or just little splashes? if mine could shoot water, well..... idk but that woudl be cool!

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I disagree with both of you LOL. (not trying to be confrontational, just do) I'm not sure about the plant thing as I haven't gotten into planted yet, but Gouramis have to be one of my favorite types of fish. They are good tankmates if you are careful with them, you just have to know what to expect and they can be a great addition to a tank. Mouse, I only disagree with you saying they only pick on other gouramis, I had a dwarf ggourami (supposidle more peaceful) and he shreaded (and killed) 7 fish in 1 night (platty, neons, guppies). They do pick on other fish, although I think if you are careful with picking the tank inhabitants and give them a densly planted tank, they are an excelent choice. I'd like to see this squirt gun imitation though LOL. Sounds comical.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
Etheostoma said:
I like what Meth said, and I'm no fan of gouramis. They're hell on plants, and they're not exactly what I'd call "neighborly" to tankmates.
I must second this comment! Best advice so far. I've never kept a gourami, but only for the reason that they are grouchy neighbors, and they WILL destroy your plants. As for the jumping part, I'm not sure if that is normal or not..I don't think that it's a "characteristic" of that type of fish, but rather just the personality of it. There is always a jumper or two in every species, IMO. :) You might consider securing all open places in your hood, to prevent a jumping accident.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Firebug said:
I must second this comment! Best advice so far. I've never kept a gourami, but only for the reason that they are grouchy neighbors, and they WILL destroy your plants. As for the jumping part, I'm not sure if that is normal or not..I don't think that it's a "characteristic" of that type of fish, but rather just the personality of it. There is always a jumper or two in every species, IMO. :) You might consider securing all open places in your hood, to prevent a jumping accident.
Done did cover it. He jump only enough for his head to stick out. I dont think I can flick it on the head, my mom will have a heart attack. :) :rolleyes:

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I came across a page that said that gouramis spit shoots of water over/around their bubblenests and that this may help keep the bubblenests together...so based on that I would say your gourami is just trying to keep his nest together.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
FreddyJ said:
I came across a page that said that gouramis spit shoots of water over/around their bubblenests and that this may help keep the bubblenests together...so based on that I would say your gourami is just trying to keep his nest together.
Oh thanx for that info.

tessalion said:
i want a fish that spits water!!! talk about entertaiment.... *DRUMMER*
It is actually kinda kool, its like I own a special fish. *SUPERSMIL

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Etheostoma said:
Just keep it away from forks, knives, and other sharp, pointy objects.

We're talking fish here. With itty-bitty brains. Gouramis to boot.

It's "short-bus" special, at best! :)
Trying to imagine ways in which the fish would come in contact with sharp pointy objects....:confused: :p