Couple of questions

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
Hey, I just joined this forum, I thought it would provide me with some learning and insight in my aquarium endeavors. I currently have a 10 gallon tank, I plan to continue upgrading as the money accumulates. My dad has a 50 or maybe it was 70 gallon tank, I have always enjoyed it, so I wanted to start maintaining my own fishes.

Right now I have a golden gourami, he about 2 1/2 inches long right now and I have had him for about three months. Well I knew gouramis were sometimes aggressive fish, but I needed an algae eater, so I went and got a chinese algae eater, who is about 2 inches. I was worried of course but I had to try, well this morning my gourami started chasing it, surprise surprise. So I put him in "time out" as I have read about, he's been in there for about an hour now. I had read to keep them in there for 12-24 hours, but that seems a little excessive. I have also heard about rearranging the tank, but there is only so many ways to arrange a 10 gallon tank. :confused: So my first question: Has anyone used either of these methods or know of any other solutions that may be more effective? If anything I have a friend who would be willing to take my chinese algae eater. We'll just have to see how time out works. (Those who are not familiar with it, its pretty much seperating the bully fish from the rest of the tank, allowing new fish to acclimate and the bully fish to chill.)

The next order of business, my aquarium plants. I bought some random bulbs from the petstore, which I read you shouldn't do, and they brought along flatworms, but I exterminated those. These two bulbs grew into plants that were the same type and they flowered and shed some lovely seeds. Now my dad told me he has never had plants that have produced seeds, or plantlings before, lucky me. So these seeds have sprouted leaves and stems and become lovely little images of their mothers, TWENTY EIGHT daughters, lucky parents. Right now they are still small, I managed to give five to my cousins and only two have not made it, so I am still left with growing twenty one lovely little sproutlings. I do feel terrible about just throwing them out into that dry earthy world, but obviously they could cause quite a problem if allowed to grow up in a little 10 gallon environment. :confused: So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with these sprouts? Is it sad that I have such sympathy for plant life?

Well I hope I enjoy being apart of this forum and thanks for any insight anyone can provide. :D

Last edited:

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
To start out Welcome. What type of plants are you looking to get rid of. I am thinking about getting a 55 gal tank and have someplants in them.. If you get a photo of the plants you dont want I might be interested in taking them off your hands. One of the best ways to seperate a bully fish is with a collendar, the thing you strain food with. float it in the tank and place the bully fish in it over night. the new fish will get use to the tank. In the morn let the other fish go. Keep an eye on them. just to make sure evrything will be ok.

MAHA

Sep 10, 2006
Denver, CO
My golden Gourami was a bully too. After I put him in time out for a day with the colendar method, when he went back into the community, everyone sort of put him in his place and don't run anymore. He still tries but they just turn and look at him like he's nuts or something. Welcome and good luck.

Steven

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
I was curious, I've read different things about time out and some say move the fish out of the tank, or a glass jar in the tank, ya'll mentioned the colander, and I've heard you can use those little fish breeder nets. Would it matter if whatever was used if it was see through or if it was a solid color? I would think if the fish didn't see it's surroundings it might work better, but I have know idea about the psyche of fish. I could always get one of those tank dividers if I really needed too? Anyone have experience with those?