Covering filter intake

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
I'm planning on getting an ADF when my 5.5g betta tank finishes it's cycle. From what I've read it's best to cover the filter intake with some pourous cloth (gonna ask my mom for old pantyhose, lol). Doesn't this reduce the filter's effectiveness by a lot since it would block out large particles in the water? I have an Aquaclear with two sponges and Biomax on top. This should reduce the current too which I wouldn't mind since I'd prefer if it was lower (it's set to the lowest already).

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I dont see a real need to cover the filter intake. Ussually you will cover the intake when you have very small fish so they don't get sucked in. By covering the filter intake you will sord of eliminate the aspect of mechanical filtration, and theirs no need to do that when you have a betta.

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
I've read that ADF's get their limbs sucked in the intake, which is why I'm looking to cover it. I'm worried that it will lower water quality though by blocking particles out.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
O im sorry, I didn't see the ADF in the front I thought it was just the betta in the tank, Im not too sure on ADF and filter intakes. I wouldnt think itd be too much of a problem, but I am unsure. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi, I cover the filter intake on all of my tanks with a piece of sponge from the Canadian Tire car wash sponges (big yellow ones). I cut them in 4, then cut a hole in it and slip it over the intake. It catches flake, bloodworms, beefheart etc... so the food doesn't get caught in the back of my AquaClears and Penguins and rot there. I rinse the prefilter sponge every 2nd day or so under warm water. My tanks stay crystal clear.

Barb

FryFan

Small Fish
Mar 11, 2005
Alberta, Canada
I agree with Barb and Lotus. I cover my fry tank intake with pantyhose. I worried it would reduce the filter effectivness too, but you'd be surprised how much mechanical filtration you still get.