Covering your tank?

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Hi All

Just a question please. My SW tank's lights (Coralife) are about 2" above the tank. Do I need to put a glass top over my tank in order to minimize evaporation or salt crawling?

Thank You
Tony

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If you aren't covering it with glass you can get inexpensive egg crate which is flourescent light diffuser panel from Home Depot or Lowes and cut it to fit the top. This will or should keep any errant jumpers in your tank, keep the gas exchange up and not reduce the amount of light getting into your water like glass can.......a 3x6 panel costs about $10

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
I'm actually having a problem with this myself. I bought a 36" Lunar Aqualight with the adjustable mounting legs and now the glass top that comes with my tank does not fit...I have to choose between having an adjustable mounting fixture or having a top.

We were thinking of maybe finding some plexiglass that we can cut to fit around where the legs are attached to the tank. I would go topless and for now I can but only until I get fish in there...I plan on having gobies/blennies and would not like to find one carpet diving.

What's everyone's opinions on the amount of light lost by using eggcrate?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have egg crate over my 75 and it doesn't seem to affect the amount of light then again, I don't have a lux/par meter so can't be sure. I just know my corals/fish etc don't mind and everyone is growing and spreading