crab analysis

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
I have noticed a new critter in the 55 the last couple days...I assume he came in on some of the LR or something as I know I did not purchase him. He is definitely a crab of some sorts...similar in many ways to what I have known as an emerald mithrax, but yet not the same...his legs are much spindlier and not harry. also, the claws are not enlarged...they look more like small pincers. just thought i would post his pic on the off chance that someone here knows what it is. hasn't been bothering anything, just picking at some hair algae so i figure thats a good thing. I'm not worried...just curious i suppose

K

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
forgot the attachment...you may notice he is missing a leg on one side...seems like it was taken clear out of the socket...he still gets around pretty good though. as you can tell, his eyes are on stalks

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
angle view...the crarapace seems taller than on my emerald crabs and it has a bumpy ridge around the back as well like a pachycephalosaur...its a bit of a mystery to me

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
i don't know what he is but its definately a neat looking little guy! I have not had anything come out of my live rock but was hoping for something that would help me out like the little crab you got there, as long as its purpose is to help clean up the algae. As you noticed im getting freaked out over algae lately.... If you find out what he is let me know i want one. I printed the picture and if i find out when i go to the lfs today i will let you know.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Umm... I think I have one of these in my reef. Its been there for about a year and hasnt harmed anything yet. It probably is a rock dwelling crab that feeds on algae and detritious.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
thats what i figured Sam...he is kind of neat Tammielynnz...Sam left you a great list for a cleanup crew in your other post. i find that watching those animals can often be as fascinating as watching the fish and corals

Jul 22, 2004
northern illinois
Visit site
i replied in another post to ya but when i asked the lfs when i took your pic you had in,, he said its a emerald crab, i told him you had another emerald crab and he said that its none the less an emerald. sorry if it doesn't help ya... i found that the hermits and snails are active little buggers.... thanks for the cleanup crew listing sam,, i will work on getting more as i can afford it,,, im sorta tapped out right now.....