Crab in my live rock

Stuart

New Fish
Mar 14, 2011
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has found crabs in there live rock? ive been looking on the internet to see if i can find a match to the crab i sort of see but my problem is i have only seen the crabs legs and claws and they are a cream colour. any ideas as to what sort of crab this could be? none of my fish have been attacked yet and my royal gramma's cave is the same spot as where i spotted the crab.

thanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The rule of thumb I've heard is that if it's hairy, it's bad. That looks like it might be a gorilla crab. The sticky on ID sites might help you get a confirmation on what it is.

It's not uncommon to get crabs on live rock or on corals you buy.

Stuart

New Fish
Mar 14, 2011
thanks for that. Sorry im new to this, what do you mean by '' the sticky on ID sites might help you get a confirmation on what it is'' what is the sticky on ID sites? lol

thanks

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
might also be a type of mythrax crab. check the ends of the pincers. if they are the same as an emerald crab's then its related. either way its likely predatory. I'd give it away or setup its own tank/container so that it doesnt eat your livestock.