cracked heater!!!

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i was watching tv yesterday and noticed a sizzling/bubbling sound in my reef tank. i looked over and bubbles were coming out of my heater every couple seconds. it took me a while to notice, but then whenever the heater kicked on, instead of the orange light, it was a bright flash, and it was boiling the water! i unplugged it and grabbed it out of there. apparently it had cracked somehow and water was getting in, the heater was turning on and just boiling the water. the heater smells awful right now, like burning plastic. the water did smell like that but it doesn't anymore. i quickly ran to petsmart (the closest pet store...well petco is closer but i hate that place) and bought a replacement (different brand but good price) the one that broke was a marineland visi-therm deluxe 200 watt submersible. i still dont know what cracked it. the new one i bought is a top fin 200 watt submersible. i'm just hoping this one doesn't break. anywho, i was wondering if anything harmful could have happened to my tank while the cracked one was boiling the water? is there anything toxic in the heater that could have leaked out? there are no animals in the tank, aside from the pods, worms and whatnot that were on the rock.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
except a lot of your tiny creatures to be dead by now..it's like taking a soapy bath with a plugged toaster in it.
Besides the smelly melted plastic, i don't think your heater "leaked" some stuff.
The visi-therm are good ones...:(
Some water might have gone into the glass tubing, possibly the heater was poorly sealed. It happened to me with a cheap Hagen one.
Another possibiliy : a temperature difference. Thin glass + quick ultra heat = might crack the glass. Like...you're mixing salt + water in a bucket...the water is cold...you put the heater in the bucket and plug it right away. Can crack.
For strong glass = Ebo Jager heater...but even better : No glass at all = titanium heaters...plus the control panel is outside the tank, no risks.
Can't break, and it's thiner so you can hide it better if you don't have sump/fuge to put it in your heater.

calico_

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2005
Milan, Italy
it happened to me once because my heater was not powerful enough for my tank's volume, so it was working around the clock and it eventually cracked. but it didn't boil the water: the glass cracked and the heater stopped working.:rolleyes: