cracked ten gallon HELP

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
this happened 10 years ago just to let you know but i had a ten gallon full of water sitting on a tough corner table in the corner and the bottom cracked about a week after we bought it im just wondering did the heat from the baseboard have anything to do with it the reason im asking is im probaly going to setup up another glass tank 2.5g-10g not sure yet in the same area its about 4-5 ft away from the base board and im wondering was my old old tank a defective tank or did the rising heat crack it i couldnt see why ther was a table under the tanknot and open bottom setup

but please enlighten me

thanks

Hey merc1500,

The heat may have had something to do with it although maybe the tank had a defect or something like that;it could have been made in-properly. Also if it was the heat it could have melted the seam that held the tank together.

Other issues would be would the water become to hot for any fish or any other living things placed in the tank?

But I am almost sure it wasn't the heat that cracked your tank. I just think it was a defect in the tank.

But I have a concern for any inhabitants in the tank, and what are you talking about the heat in the baseboard?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The most likely reasons for the tank to crack are:
1. The frame was warped, so when the weight of the water was in it, the glass twisted and it cracked.
2. The tank wasn't fully supported or the table wasn't completely level. The edges of a tank can't hang over the side, and all the edges should be fully resting on the surface.
3. It was poorly made or had a manufacturing defect.

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
well the mini bow in my avatar the baseboard is below it and i dont have any heating issues stays a steady 76 til you turn the tank light on the very least in thinking of is getting rid of the mini bow 2.5 and getting a glass 2.5 gallon and making a custom full hood i tired of having to worry about scratching this delicate tank it scratches easy but a 5.5g will fit there pefectly and it will hold the weight so i dont kno im in the planing stage right now i just wanted to see if a glass tank will crack there

thanks for all the replys

Jun 21, 2008
When you say baseboard are you referring to the heating vent in the floor? If so, that's not actually a baseboard at all, the baseboard is the piece of wood that runs the length of the wall and is only there for decorative purposes. Just trying to clear up what we're talking about here. I wouldn't think that it would be good for it to be so close to a heat source, because when it's on it most likely causes temperature fluctuations. You may only be looking at it when the heat isn't on, etc. I personally don't think a 2.5 gallon is worth the effort of making a custom top, and I think you'll have trouble finding a 2.5 gallon that's glass, as most of the small tanks seem to be acrylic. I think you should look into a size upgrade, maybe even just to a 10, if you want to switch to glass. But if you go bigger you need to make sure whatever you put it on will old the weight. It looks in your picture like it might be on some sort of a particle board table, which will likely get wet and warp over time if you continue to use it as a stand. Just some things to think about.

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
the get in wet and warping im planing for what ever i do i plan to do the follawing cut a peice of 1/2 thick starboard and put it under the aquaruim to help disturbute the weight and keep water from getting to the board
did this on my 10g then i planed to take and 2 by 4 about 20 inches if a 5.5 counter sink and thru bolt it to the bottom of the table and then put braces built out of 2 by 4 to the piece below the aquaruim level i think with these mods i can support a 5 gallon

but i thinking geting tough corner table like i used to have i had a ten gallon and a 5 gallon on that but i dont know where i could get some thing that tough these days that was an old table

again im still planing if you have any ideas where i could get a corner table that will hol a 10 and a 5 please let me know

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
well this is what i did with my computer table she will probaly hold a ten gallon i sat on it im 150 so im thinking another ten gallon
[/IMG]

oh theres a center support behind the speaker plz rate or comment
thanks

Last edited: