Cray Questions

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
i think a ten gallon should be the smallest to get for your cray and if you want another compatible one, i would get an even larger tank to prevent possible disputes

to me a 2.5gal is way to small..and you would have to clean very often to ensure descent water quality

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
also, what kind of crayfish are you getting? How big will it get in the long run? a ten gal would be fine for a Procambarus species that would get 5in...but if you wanted to house more i would personally get a much longer wider tank ...because fighting could erupt and one could eat the other during molting

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
ahh thats a diff story, but i personaly think you should still get something bigger than a 2.5gal tank...they are in general harder to maintain due to their small size and most importantly the crayfish would def be happier in something big allowing the crayfish to act more like itself

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I don't think a smaller crayfish would necessarily fare any better in a larger tank like a 10 or even 20 gal. than it would in a smaller setup. Sure, keeping nitrAte levels down in a larger tank is generally easier, but as long as you keep up with water-changes it's not a big deal. Remember, most crays spend the majority of their lifetimes cramped up underneath of rocks or in small burrows, so a 2.5 gal. tank should be fine for the species you mentioned, Gerald.

BV

Sep 22, 2006
www.texasaquaponics.com
I have to say that for space? It really depends on what type of crayfish you are going to get, if you intend to try and breed and how many you want to put in one space.
More aggressive ones need more floor space per cray. Less aggressive ones can be packed more tightly.
Also, different types of crayfish are more or less social. some like to wander and explore more than others.