Crayfish molting

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Does anyone have any info on crayfish molting (or moulting?) I have a crayfish that was in my tank when I bought it, and I just discovered its twin sitting in the cave where he normally sits, but he was outside is cave. So it couldn't be him!! He couldn't be in two places at once....or could he? He's pretty clever. But anyway, I reached in and pulled out the shell that he molted perfectly intact. Do they do that in order to grow? How often will he do it?

Apr 8, 2006
Kearney, NE
If I remember right, he must do that to grow, I have heard they will do it every month to every two months, depending on the supplements in your water. Certain vitamins cause them to grow faster therefore molt more often. It will take him a few days to get his shell back to full hardness after molting, so you might want to protect him from any violent fish.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Crayfish have to molt to grow. They'll also occasionally molt as a stress response. Usually the shell hardens overnight, if it's still soft after a couple of days it could mean your water isn't hard enough or the critter isn't getting all his vitamins.

How often? Indeterminate. Depends on how well-fed, environmental health and cues, usually 3-4 times per year in the wild for many US species. Sometimes as often as every-other month.

As above, after they molt, they're utterly defenseless until their shell hardens.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Logic flaw Yahoo: Soft crayfish eats hard shell how?

Doesn't work that way in the wild either. The calcium for hardening the shell is stored beforehand in pseudo-otoliths; stoney deposits inside their head.

Just keeping the faith.

Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
I've dissected the things to retrieve the very lump of calcium that I speak of. Also, in my ignorance I limited my previous response to midwestern Procambarus and Orconectes.

I neglected to ask of which crayfish we were talking.

My bad. Sorry.