Crazy Question?

Jan 20, 2006
St. Charles, MO
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what and why there is this white residue all over my filters and light hood? I have tried to wash it off with just plaing water and my scub pad but it won't come off. On the hood its on the glass that the light sits on and its making the water look likes it's cloudy when I know that it's not. I do have hard water and I thought that maybe thats it but I use a declor. with every water change and top off.
Also, can anybody tell about a good test kit I'm using the dip strips know and I've heard that they don't give a good reading (kinda hard to read to).
By the way if you was wondering all of the fish survied the salt accident. I didn't lose one. My son now knows that he can't touch the tank ( I took SpongeBob away for a week over that one). So at least he knows better now.
Thanks for everyones help on that scare. Took alot of water changes but got things back under control.

May 12, 2005
Georgia
I had the same problem especially on the cover where my light sits on my planted tank. I think it is from the hard water. I removed mine and cleaned it with cleaner that is supposed to remove hard water deposits and it worked but I made sure it was absolutely free of any cleaning residue before I put it back. Vinegar is supposed to work for that too but I have never tried it.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yup Vinegar and a scrub pad is the safest way to clean it. If some of the vinegar gets in your water you may or may not have a slight drop in PH instead of a tank full of dead fish due to the use of harsher chemicals.