creature in live rock

Jul 23, 2008
hi im hayley and new to the site! ive got a 33gallon marine aquarium which has been up and running for around 2months, housing 2 clowns 2 shrimps and 4 hermit crabs. I also have 4 pieces of live rock in which i have been finding lots of interesting creatures!! :)
The first is like a piece of clear jelly stuck to the rock, but swaying out like a kind of worm. It only comes out when my dull blue light is on, reminds me of a ghost!!
The second is very exciting...from looking inside the tank it looked like a brown piece of jelly stuck to a piece of my rock. But on closer inspection (lifted the rock out of water!) it reminds me of a toad with no legs!! He was squirting water at me but never moved.
Ive been searching the web trying to figure out what these creatures are and if they are harmfull to my fish.
Please help *twirlysmi

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
They could both be some sort of sponge. I believe, based on your description, I have both growing in my tank as well. I've never actually tried to ID them. Neither one will be harmful to your fish. If you have coral, I would be more concerned about that; if they spread aggressively they could choke out zoanthids and the like.

A picture would really help.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
The descriptions really don't sound like anemones, but if you do a couple of quick yahoo/google searches you should be able to tell. To correct the spelling above, you want to search for: "aiptasia" and "majano".

Last edited: