Crowntail or Half-Moon?

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Check out this site ....www.bettatalk.com. There is a member of MFT whose name escapes me ... who is a breeder of top-flite bettas. I believe she's on the West Coast. One of the mods might remembere her handle. She's got a great website as well.

I would help you out with breeding stock, but I don't breed them (crowntails) that often and when I do a local asian breeder buys all of them. IMO, Half-Moons seem hardier to me and in short supply in the market if you are looking to breed them for sale.

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Yikes.. checked both of those sites and they wanted at least $60.00 per fish. That's a tad expensive for just one Betta. That's for the fish, not shipping % handling, mind you. I hadn't planned on spending that much for a Betta. If anyone found a reasonably cheap ($15.00 - $30.00) and a Half-Moon or Crowntail, please, do tell. If anyone breeds either of the strains, also, please, do tell, and if you're selling any in the near future (within 2-3 months).

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've seen a lot for sale on www.aquabid.com, usually pretty cheap. The only thing is, I wouldn't recommend having any fish shipped to you this time of year. It's just too hot, even if they sit on a truck for a few hours, IMO.

You could ask your LFS to see how much it would be if they sold them, and if they could get one or two (or however many) for you.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
we sell crowntails, doubletails, veiltails, and females at the petshop i work at... they really dont seem so rare. we've even had pure white double tails and black crowntails with red fins. and we price them all the same- 5 bucks;

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I'm more than sure that my LFS's don't sell any other types of Betta's. I live in the middle of ghetto-ville Arizona, just FYI. The employees can hardly tell the difference between a ferret and a parakeet. Lotus, to reply to you, yes, I agree it's far too hot, but previous message states that I was looking to seriously buying one in 2-3 months when it'll cool off a bit. It was 117° the other day. That's a tad bit much for a fishy.