Cure rock in tank or outside?

Cure in tank or outside?

• Total voters

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We're getting around 150 to 200 lbs of uncured live rock.

If it were you, would you cure it in the tank or outside in a tub?

As Ecotank is currently working from home, he'll be sitting in the same room with the tank, so we're a little worried that it will be really stinky. Luckily, the weather is good right now, so he can have doors and windows open.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I would do it in the tank for the added benefits down the road... only if there is no livestock. If it's done in the tank the whole system can cycle with the rock...that protein skimmer will be workin triple time :) With the suggested water changes you shouldn't have that much smell if any... I didn't when I started my tank. My 2cents

I'm hoping they know how to cure LR

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think I'd vote for inside too...but I haven't ever delt with uncured rock before. I was just imagining all the trouble of finding something big enough to cure it in outside, temperature swings etc...and then transporting it all. That amount of rock I think I'd probably only want to move it one time :D

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, curing outside or in the garage wouldn't be a big deal. We have plenty of empty tanks and tubs hanging around, and it hasn't gotten much below 60 at night yet. We also have quite a few heaters hanging around.

Of course, we've done our research about rinsing, lightly scrubbing/removing dead stuff, and water changes, etc. I believe either the Paletta or Fenner book recommends curing outside because of the smell.