Cured Live Rock Being Shipped....Now UnCured?

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I am having some live rock shipped from Cali to Pennsylvania. The rock was fully cured when it left Cali. It has been shipped to preserve moisture, etc and will take about 5 days to get here (b/c of the weekend).

When it arrives at my doorstep does that mean that it is essentailly uncured rock? Do you think I need to perform the whole curing procedure? Finally, do you think one false perc is 'strong enough' to survive if I put this rock directly into the aquarium?

Thanks. -Matt

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, the rock will become uncured during its journey. You may only see a slight spike in ammonia and nitrites, or it could be a big spike. However, you will need to recure it. It might be only a week or two before it's fully cured again.

I wouldn't risk putting a fish in with the rock.

I'd suggest the following:
1. Put the fish in the tank with a piece of rock (or several) from the established tank.
2. Put the new rock in a bucket/Rubbermaid with a heater/powerhead until it's cured.
3. Once the new rock is cured, put it in the tank.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Yea that would be best, if you have like a 10g layin around or something take the water out of your tank to fill it up with and throw some rock in there for a week or 2 like lorna suggested.. Did you get it from a dealer?