curing Live Rocks

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
From everything I have read, experts recomend that you cure the LRs in seperate tank prior to placing them in the tank.

Some recomend using protein skimmer while others (like liveaquaria) deosn't.

Is a protein skimmer essential in the curing process? ... especially if you are doing a 100% water change twice a week and scrubbing the LR during each change.

Rohn

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
that is a bit excessive, the LR only needs to be in a separate tank if you have livestock in the tank already. I like to run a protien skimmer when I cycle my LR. 100% water changes are excessive...just do 25% weekly and you should be fine.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
here is the deal...just scrub the rock down really well before you put it inthe tank, get all the dead/dying sponges off of it...make sure to use salt water when scrubbing, this will help keep the smell down and make water changes much more manageable...100% is excessive...if there is nothing else in the tank just do normal 25%/week and you will be all set.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well you buy live rock for the live things. And the live things require a certain degree of water quality so leaving them in a bath of ammonia isn't really going to help. So yes, I would add a skimmer, and if I needed to I would do some large water changes, as I don't like to spend on money on live things just to killthem a.s.a.p. Whether a large water change is 25 %, 100% is irrelevant, though you're going to do better with 100%.
I'll give you a tip. A BIG bucket of salt is pretty cheap. If you can't afford salt for saltwater, then this hobby is not for you. I will grant you making up water can be a hassle, especially if you're on RO, but for this purpose, large frequaent changes to cure live rock, make it up with tap water.