Curious about transport...

JJDoyle2004

Medium Fish
Jul 13, 2007
California
So, My husband and I have decided to move out of california, like across the country, tenn or NY, anyhow, I want to take my baby De La Hoya. How would I move him? Is it safe? would he be able to live through it? What would be the best way to transport him if so? We have three cars so we'll have to drive and tow and whatnot. Could it work??

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
There was this guy on the forum a while back that moved from PA to Oregon I believe, and he did it. I know it has been done before, and can be done. Somebody else on here can probably give you better details, but my general understanding is that you put the fish in some large containers (rubbermaid), put an airstone in there, when you stop, do a water change, and if possible hook a filter up for the night. There are also ways to sedate fish, like they do when they ship them, and i believe the right amount of something called clove oil will do that (but i'd do some serious research before trying it). Also, make sure you keep a bacteria colony alive and well from your tank so that you don't have to cycle your tank again in your new home.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It can definitely be done. How big is he (and the pleco)? If they're small enough, I've had good luck with a 5g bucket. You can stick a big trash bag in there, and tie it off (leaving some air in the top), and then it can't spill all over. A rubbermaid container has the potential to spill, even with the cover on, if it's too full or you brake hard or some such. You could probably do a trash bag in the container though, to prevent that.

You'd want the fish in the car with you, so they're not overheated in a trunk or truck. You want the tank to be the last thing you take down in the old house and the first thing set up when you get to the new.

To move the tank, you want it drained down to the gravel but leave the gravel wet-that'll keep the bacteria in the gravel alive. Stick the filter (or filter media) in a baggie with tank water for the ride, then in the container with the fish if you stop overnight somewhere.

JJDoyle2004

Medium Fish
Jul 13, 2007
California
Awesome! To answer the question about size My oscar is about 7 in and the pleco around the same, but I am looking to get rid of the pleco at the moment anyway (too much bioload) but I don't want to give up the oscar NO WAY! The trash bag will work for a couple days?? it's not going to be a quick trip, that's what worries me you know.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The trash bag would work while you're actually in the car, just to prevent water from splashing all over. If you're in a hotel or whatever overnight, you can untie the bag and stick the filter on the container. You don't want to leave him tied in a bag for days, he'd run out of oxygen.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Check out bags called "breather bags". I read in a post of a move of over a week with good results using these. I like to move fish on long rides in a cooler. This seems to help keep the temps more stable. I also like to line the cooler with an extra bag or two to catch water if the fish bags leak. A power inverter may be able to power an air pump and air stone or sponge filter. Do not feed the fish for a few days before the trip so as to reduce the amount of waste during the trip. I did not check out the thread that lotus posted as yet so may be repeating some stuff. Have a net big enough to fit the fish handy during the trip.

I gave a 14+ inch pleco to a fish shop in Knoxville, this past summer. They would not pay or give store credit, but I was happy to find a place that would take it.