cursed

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I bought a beautiful Pixy Hawkfish at an LFS 42 miles from my house on Wednesday. He was eating and swimming around--a great specimen. I get a call this morning at work from my mom: Mr. Pixy got sucked into the Maxijet 1200 that pumps water to the skimmer. I forgot to put the preskimmer box back on. Talk about bad luck. My past year with saltwater fish has been bad luck. This is the FIFTH fish to succumb to my 29 gallon death trap. My corals and clownfish are still thriving, but no other fish I introduce survive.

Discouraged again...

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
oh man that really sucks!!!!!! especially since you drove so far away for the hawkfish. you wont be forgetting to replace the preskimmer back on again..>! well, at lesat your corals are doing well!!!!

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i have learned to cover anything that sucks water up with a grid or something, about 2 months ago my betta got sucked up his filter. sorry to here about your hawkfish. what store did you get him from?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
a wierd location for a lfs. when i tried to find it. kept argueing with my dad in the car. it had the gates locked up and the only thing that shows were it is is that tiny little sign. i quess the only way to not lose fish would be to not keep them.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
S.Reef said:
Yeah...its depressing sometimes looking back at all the fish that have died...dont feel bad i honestly have killed 75+.
That actually cheered me up a bit. Sam's definetly not a quitter.

What can I use to cover the intakes of other pumps? I have another MJ1200 from my Seaclone that has no strainer either--I saw what it could do with a large chunk of caulerpa, can't imagine what would happen to a fish.