Cycle advice, can I stock it yet?

jam369

New Fish
Aug 22, 2011
Hi!

Brought myself a Fluval Edge 23l just under a week ago, chucked some sand and rocks in (store bought), used the chemicals provided (nutrafin cycle and the de-chlorinator) and left it, making sure someone else kept using cycle. I know the cycle is supposed to take weeks to complete but as I was passing my LFS i got a water test and apparently, it's completed, I have zero ammonia, nitrites and low 'healthy' levels of nitrates.

So as long as I stock it slowly and carefully, am I all good to go?

Thanks for your help!

Feb 27, 2009
Without a source of ammonia to keep the beneficial bacteria alive, I would doubt your tank has completed the nitrogen cycle. Have you been adding amomonia daily?

What do you plan to put in the aquarium? I can only think of a betta or some shrimp, or a dwarf african frog or 2 (if its 23 litres).

jam369

New Fish
Aug 22, 2011
Nope, just a pinch of fish food as the fish store told me. If i do decide to stock it soon ill take another water sample and get that checked first, just incase.

I wanted a dwarf puffer and some shrimp (if the puffer will allow, as I understand its a bit hit and miss with this combo), but might go for a male betta, shrimp and a few tetras. Still undecided...

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
The puffer will eat shrimp and the betta will as well. (the betta might not eat it whole, but would most likely pick at one till it was dead, also would not allow for any breeding). If you want shrimp, there isn't many fish that are 100% shrimp safe. Some dwarf rasbora's are often kept with dwarf shrimp ( I just added some to my RCS tank last night).