Cycle is Complete

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I tested my water today when I got home from work and my nitrites are gone! I think that my new rena filter helped alot! Thanks for all the support during this hellaish time for me. I was worried about the fish. They pulled through! I am happy that I won't have to do water changes everyday.. only once a month. again.. thanks alot everyone for putting up with my cycle!:D

captevo

Small Fish
Feb 20, 2008
I tested my water today when I got home from work and my nitrites are gone! I think that my new rena filter helped alot! Thanks for all the support during this hellaish time for me. I was worried about the fish. They pulled through! I am happy that I won't have to do water changes everyday.. only once a month. again.. thanks alot everyone for putting up with my cycle!:D
Congrat!!!

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
:)
i just recently seeing pink/purple color.
So how long did take for nitrite to go from spike to complete?
3 almost 4 weeks! I was doing 50% water changes daily and treating the water prior to adding it to the tank with Prime water conditioner. I just hooked up my Rena XP3 on Wednesday and it helped it along very quickly. don't get discouraged.. just keep up with the cycle maintenance.

crowfish

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2008
you should never do a 50 percent change in water because all your doing is taking out the bacteria that was trying to turn into nitrate i also am having the same issue i have a high level of nitrite in my tank i bought some stuff to put in my filter today and we will see what happens

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
you should never do a 50 percent change in water because all your doing is taking out the bacteria that was trying to turn into nitrate i also am having the same issue i have a high level of nitrite in my tank i bought some stuff to put in my filter today and we will see what happens
Well, if I'm correct, what you're really doing is removing the nitrite that the nitrite-metabolizing bacteria use as food, not the bacteria themselves. You're making it harder for them to reproduce and establish a colony that can take care of your nitrite.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
who told you that?? if you don't disturb the gravel bed (which is where 90% of the nitrifying bacteria lives) you can do 50% or higher water changes..

"diloution of pollution is the solution"

when you do water changes like that you are diluting the nitrites, nitrates and ammonia. if your nitrites are at 5.0 and you do a 50% water change.. your nitrites should be at 2.5 after the change.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
who told you that?? if you don't disturb the gravel bed (which is where 90% of the nitrifying bacteria lives) you can do 50% or higher water changes..
But, I think the point of it is that I don't think you want to be doing it while you're fishlessly cycling the tank, for the reason I mentioned above. It would be a different story if one was doing a fish-in cycle.

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
I was hard headed and cycled the tank with fish in it.. alot more work than I expected. I lost fish in the process too. If I had a mulligan.. I would do a fishless cycle.