cycle not done yet and I am moving Please HELP.

Aug 3, 2006
OK i set up my 55 gallon on the 12th of this month, and i will be moving before my cycle is done( most likely), and I have some questions.
1. What do I do so I dont have to start my cycle over?
CAN I pour all the water into 5 gallon buckets, and pour them in when I get to the new place?
If so What about the water staying 85 degrees, will that matter?
2. If I move after the cycle is done do I still do the same thing? Please help. Thank you.

Jul 22, 2006
I do not know why you would want to completely set up the tank and then break it down for moving. Thats aweful! I advise you to wait until you've moved and settled in the new place, then you can set up the tank.

Thunder

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
You may have a longer cycle or a mini-cycle, but the bacterial growth should remain and that's what you want. You cycle won't start completely over. Just keep an eye on your water conditions.

Maybe someone else can clarify this advice with a second opinion?

Aug 3, 2006
THUNDER said:
I do not know why you would want to completely set up the tank and then break it down for moving. Thats aweful! I advise you to wait until you've moved and settled in the new place, then you can set up the tank.

Thunder
what i was saying is that i already set up the tank and I will be moving before its done cycling

Aug 3, 2006
GIS Guy said:
85 degrees seems a bit high for tropical fish. Most need to be between 77 and 82.

Make sure you keep the media and substrate wet w/ tank water. The bacteria growth is really what you want to save if nothing else.
well on the degress, i have six starter fish in there, and i read the forum and thought that is what it said to keep my tank at while it was cycling

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There are a couple of threads on moving with fish, I believe one is in the stickies section.

Basically, you need to bag up your fish and keep the gravel and filter media wet while you move to preserve the bacteria. The bacteria aren't in the water in large numbers, so you don't need to keep the old tank water when you move.

Jul 22, 2006
I shouldve bagged my fishes of the 10G I had. First move, I went to stay with my dad and his parents for two months. Alot of things was in the back of his truck, including the tank with about 5 inches of water and the fishes. He wanted to visit his brother and the family (my cousins and everyone), so we stayed for a few hours. After that, the trip was about 2 hours. Upon arrival, the tank was my top task to do. I set up the tank and all the fishes was totally in shock with no colors. The next day, they all was doing great and survived. Two months later, I moved to college campus and the trip was about 30 minutes. This time, all the fishes was in the bucket. Yes, they all survived. They lived until the very end of my college life. Luck!

Thunder

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Just keep the filter media and gravel wet. Test the water at your new place, preferably in advance so you know if there are large differences in pH, etc. You don't need to bring your water, however, the first several gallons added to your tank should be dechlorinated before added to the tank (so you don't kill the bacteria by filling with a hose) the balance of the tank should be able to be filled by hose with dechlor added prior to the water.

With that large a tank, it is preferable to remove your gravel to avoid cracking the tank. Also, obviously, any decor, especially large rocks or driftwood (keep these wet also if possible) should be removed as well.