Cycle problem/ammonia

Mar 17, 2009
I have a 20 gallon tank for 3 weeks now. I put two live rocks in it within a few day to start a cycle without fish. For the last two weeks, all my levels were zero, so I thought it had already cycled and I added two clown fish last Saturday night. The water was looking cloudy yesterday, and so I did a 20% water change. This morning I tested my levels and my Ammonia was at .50 and Nitrite and Nitrates at 0. I called the local fish store and they said don't let it get higher, but don't keep changing the water because this is the real deal cycle. So this evening I tested and Ammonia was at 1.0. I did a 10% change, and it was still at 1.0. I don't even want to go to sleep because I am afraid it will rise a lot over night. Any advice??? Sleepless in Virginia.

Jun 7, 2008
india
keep the lights as low as possible
as many rocks as possible
i would suggest an aerodynamic filter process for your tank
means
air
water
light
and
dryness
used in together
to make up and down effect of water flow in tank
which means feeling and emptying the tank continously
once per minute
then the rocks will do their job
best of luck

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You must do a water change to reduce the ammonia it is a killer for fish and though clowns are pretty hardy I doubt they could survive through a cycle. Optimally I would remove the clowns to a qt but it won't be cycled either and there you must keep the water changed to keep the ammonia down. You don't say how much rock you put in....pound wise? aim for 1 lb minimum per gallon, water changes and good luck....