cycle question

I have a 20 gallon with 2 Red Dwarf Gouramis. I'm trying to cyle the tank with the fish in them. I was told it wouldn't take long for the ammonia levels to quickly rise to 8.0 causing the benifical bacteria to grow. It's been 4 weeks now and my ammonia level sits at 2.0 which is fairly low for this process, but it doesn't vary at all. I have a 6 gallon wih the rest of my fish that I want to transfer but this cylce process seems to be way behind schedule. Is there anything I can do to help the bacteria to grow without compromising the health of my Gouramis?

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
yikes, 8 ppm? that's something you want to try to avoid, not strive for. 2 ppm means your tank is starting to cycle. I wouldn't necessarily use gouramis as a cycling fish, but hey, what do I know, I used 5 rasboras as cycling fish.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
4 weeks does seem a bit long to still be seeing ammonia.

Tell us about your tank..What kind of filter do you have? are you doing water changes, if so, how often?

Are you testing for nitrites and nitrates?

Also what kind of tests are you useing..Dip Strips or the Liquid Drops ones?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Not hardy enough to deal with the spikes. Amazonian fish are not the best candidates for fish cycling a tank.

I can tell you now that you will be lucky if they make it..

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know of such a list but I can tell you. The best 2 are zebra danios and comet gold fish. The torpedo shaped ones not the round fat fancy ones.

Lots of people including myself will get some of these fish but only from a store that will allow you to return them, and only use them for the cycle. When it's done the fish are returned.

Well for the most part "most" species of Cories are pretty hardy, some not so much. But none of them can deal with the spikes from a cycling tank.

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
You could also try White Cloud Mountain Minnows, which I've heard are hardy and good for cycling.

You could also get Bio-Spira if you want the cycle to finish in a few days. It might make it easier for your fish, and enable you to get the fish you want (not just the ones that will survive a cycle).
Here's some product info (this product gets good reviews, unlike Cycle and Bio-Zyme): http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

Save yourself some time and gasoline and call the petstores first to see if they carry the product - then make sure the product is refrigerated when you buy it and keep it cool until you put it in your tank.

Good luck!