cycle question

jenw

New Fish
May 7, 2006
Asheville, NC
well I have a 75 gallon and I have planted some plants in it and they are doing good now I have 2 2 liter bottles of diy co2 with a diy reactor and about 2wpg lighting. Now here is where I need the help. I was having a problem with algae in the tank so I got just one chinese algae eater to help out with the problem. To cycle the tank I got a cartridge from an aunts 30 gallon tank thinking that that would make it cycle very fast without the use of ammonia. Wrong!!!! Now I am afraid I will hurt the little guy if I use ammonia in the water. From the tests I have run all day. My ammo is at .25 nitrites .25 and nitrates just barely registering maybe 2.5 -5. Help, what can I do????

Any help would be apprieciated, Jennifer

get your algae eater out of there and do a fishless cycle, with you rcartridge in there, it sounds like your cycle is working because you got readings on all three tests, but you should find a temp house for your algae eater, then cycle it, algae is the least of you rproblems during cycle, just turn off the lights to kepp it form growing, during the cycle, and also increase the temp to 85 to speed up the cycle

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Yep, having plants in the tank will make your cycle much milder (ie, your ammonia and nitrite "spikes" will be at much lower levels than in a non-planted tank).

However, for this to work, you'd need to have a "heavily" planted tank. What types of plants do you currently have in your tank? If you can add some anacharis or hornwort, then that would help a lot.

Also, about your CAE - those fish tend to become more aggressive and less algae-eaters as they mature. This may be a problem, if it becomes aggressive towards the other fish you'll be keeping in the tank. If you can find a true SAE (Siamese Algae Eater), then you'll be much better off. :)

Good luck!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
No, that wouldn't be a heavily planted tank, UP. A heavily planted tank is defined as one where you can see 1/3 or less of the substrate when looking down from above the tank. Some people use the "rule" of one bunch of plants per 5 gallons, although that depends on the size of the bunch. Microsword and banana plants are not fast-growing stem plants. Those include:
Hygrophilia sp.
Watersprite
Wisteria
Anacharis
Hornwort
Bacopa

jenw

New Fish
May 7, 2006
Asheville, NC
Okay, well now I have a minute off work so that I can post on here again. I fugured I would update on my progress. I originally got a filter from a relative and that didn't help a whole lot but some. So last night I got a bunch of filters from another relative and so far this is what I have this morning. Ammonia=.5 Nitrite=.5 Nitrate=5 (looks like). I have been putting in small amounts of ammonia (1 tsp/day) to help it along and so far my plants aren't doing too bad, but you can tell a few of them don't like the ammonia.

Plant list: Bacopa ( doing very good), Green and White Acorus(varigated grass) holding it's own, Sword Plant (getting brown spots and kind of yellowing), Cabomba (growing like mad), Anacharis(salvaged a few sprigs from what I first bought at the store, and these are doing good), Water Sprite(doing good, showing signs of new growth some roots growing off stem near top), and Ruffle? (this is what the store called it, not doing so hot but still hanging in there). I fully intend to add a lot more plants just as soon as I get the cycle complete and some fish in there, I just want to concentrate on that right now. By the way the algae is not as bad as first thought.

My equipment right now is as follows: 3 X 40W lights: 1 11000K lightning rod, 1 blue lightning rod (this one really sets off the green of the plants) , 1 plant and aquarium light from lowe's (only 1900 lumens) ( i recommend looking at specialized fish stores for the lighting), I also have two moonlights which look great at night.

I will post more later, I need to run to the lfs and do some more shopping.

Jen

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Sounds like you're making some progress (per your water parameters).

I'm curious about your lights though.
1 11000K lightning rod - this sounds good, although you could get by with less K
1 blue lightning rod - is this an actinic bulb? if so, then it doesn't really count towards the wattage used by live plants
1 plant and aquarium light from lowe's (only 1900 lumens) - not sure about this light, does it have a Kelvin rating (or temp) on it? I've seen GE plant/aquarium bulbs at Lowe's, but they don't list the Kelvin as the other bulbs do. I'm wondering if this is the same bulb you're referring to.

It kinda sounds like you have 80 effective watts over your 75 gallon tank, but I guess it depends on what the "blue" bulb is.

Also - you might want to read this article: http://www.rexgrigg.com/./cycle.htm I've read in several different places that it's not good to fishless cycle a planted tank.

Good luck!

jenw

New Fish
May 7, 2006
Asheville, NC
Well, today was the day I got some fish. My cycle was up and we did a big water change. for 2 days in a row the ammo and nitrites were 0 in the am and I added ammo yesterday and still this am 0 with nitrates being 5. I got 10 lemon tetras 10 black neons 10 glow lights. I also got 3 albino corys and 10 ghost shrimp. I will get some ottos when I can find them but none of the lfs has had them in a while.

I hope they all do well

Ill post back soon with updates